(303) 384-2019 (w) | (720) 938-5614 (c)
1500 Illinois St. / Alderson Hall 353
Golden, CO 80401
Colorado School of Mines, January 2019–Present
PhD, Chemical Engineering
Colorado School of Mines, December 2018
Dissertation: “Advanced Thermoplastic Composites for Wind Turbine Blade Manufacturing”
BS, Chemical Engineering
University of Colorado–Boulder, May 2012
Google Scholar Profile
View Dylan’s CV
Dylan’s research focuses on fiber-reinforced polymer composites and the synthetic techniques used to fabricate these materials. His PhD work revealed that the chemorheological response of a reacting polymer solution can be tuned by judicious alteration of the concentration and molecular weight of a pre-formed polymer used to make the solution. This thermoplastic resin system can be used in vacuum-assisted resin transfer molding (VARTM) to fabricate structures such as wind turbine blades or boat hulls. Further research showed that these materials introduce enhanced recyclability that is not possible with traditional thermosetting composites. Dylan also designed biobased infusible resin systems by characterizing the fundamental solution properties (coil size and solvent quality) of the resin. These biobased resins have potential to markedly reduce the embodied energy of composite parts.
Dylan’s present projects include mechanical testing to develop a robust database of mechanical properties of composites fabricated with thermoplastic resins; machine learning for prediction of chemorheological response of reactive resin systems; investigation of the effect of defects in composite parts by in situ mechanical loading of composite parts while conducting X-ray CT scanning; and characterization of recycled carbon fibers by XPS, SEM, and X-ray CT and investigation of how the surface treatment affects mechanical properties.
Research funded by the Institute for Advanced Composites Manufacturing Innovation (IACMI)
- Cousins, D.S., Suzuki, Y., Murray, R.E., Samaniuk, J.R., Stebner, A.P. “Recycling Glass Fiber Thermoplastic Composites from Wind Turbine Blades,” 2019, Journal of Cleaner Production, 209:1252–1263, 10.1016/j.jclepro.2018.10.286.
- Murray, R.E., Penumadu, D., Cousins, D., Beach, R., Snowberg, D., Berry, D., Suzuki, Y., Stebner, A.P.”Manufacturing and Flexural Characterization of Infusion-Reacted Thermoplastic Wind Turbine Blade Subcomponents,” 2019, Applied Composite Materials, 10.1007/s10443-019-9760-2.
- Suzuki, Y., Cousins, D.S., Dorgan, J.R., Stebner, A.P., Kappes, B.B. “Dual-Energy X-ray Computed Tomography for Void Detection in Fiber-Reinforced Composites,” 2019, Journal of Composite Materials, 10.1177/0021998319827091.
- Murray, R.E., Jenne, S., Snowberg, D., Berry, D., Cousins, D. “Techno-Economic Analysis of a Megawatt-Scale Thermoplastic Resin Wind Turbine Blade,”2019, Renewable Energy, 131:111–119, 10.1016/j.renene.2018.07.032.
- Suzuki, Y., Cousins, D.S., Shinagawa, Y., Bell, R.T., Matsumoto, A., Stebner, A.P. “Phase Separation During Bulk Polymerization of Methyl Methacrylate,” 2018, Polymer Journal, 10.1038/s41428-018-0142-7.
- Suzuki, Y., Cousins, D., Wassgren, J., Kappes, B.B., Dorgan, J., Stebner, A.P.”Kinetics and Temperature Evolution during the Bulk Polymerization of Methyl Methacrylate for Vacuum-Assisted Resin Transfer Molding,” 2018, Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, 104:60–67, 10.1016/j.compositesa.2017.10.022.
- Cousins, D.S., Lowe, C., Swan, D., Barsotti, R., Zhang, M., Gleich, K., Berry, D., Snowberg, D., Dorgan, J.R. “Miscible Blends of Biobased Poly (lactide) with Poly (methyl methacrylate): Effects of Chopped Glass Fiber Incorporation,” 2017, Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 134(22):44868, 10.1002/app.44868.
- Cousins, D., Suzuki, Y., Dorgan, J. “Chemorheology of a Methacrylate Based Thermoplastic Resin,” 2017, Abstracts of Papers of the American Chemical Society, vol. 253. 155 16th St., NW, Washington, DC 20036 USA: Amer Cheical Soc.
- Suzuki, Y., Kappes, B., Cousins, D., Dorgan, J. “Three Dimensional Visualization of Voids in Fiber Reinforced Composites Using Dual Energy X-ray Computed Tomography,” 2017, APS March Meeting Abstracts.
- Suzuki, Y., Kappes, B., Cousins, D., Dorgan, J. “Three Dimensional Visualization of Voids in Fiber Reinforced Composites Using Dual Energy X-ray Computed Tomography,” 2017, Bulletin of the American Physical Society 62.
- Laesecke, A., Cousins, D.S., “Wide-Ranging Viscosity Measurements of Rocket Propellant RP-2,” 2013, Journal of Propulsion and Power, 29(6):1323–1327, 10.2514/1.B34941.
- Cousins, D.S., Laesecke, A. “Sealed Gravitational Capillary Viscometry of Dimethyl Ether and Two Next-Generation Alternative Refrigerants,” 2012, Journal of Research of the National Institute of Standards and Technology, 117:231, 10.6028/jres.117.014.